Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Paper Pinecones

It is always this time of year when I see such wonderful DIY craft projects for holiday decorating.

I've been seeing a lot of these paper pinecones around Pinterest lately - don't you just love Pinterest!
Last weekend I decided to devote a bit of time in making my version of the paper pinecone - I found the process of punching paper, scoring, and folding the circles of paper to be so relaxing - meditative really.

Plus - it gave me a chance to play with glitter {gosh, I love glitter!}

Paper Pinecones1
Paper Pinecones1


I posted a similar image on Instagram as part of Kim's new #mystillsundaycompetition - lots of awesome images in that feed!

I used one layer of Kim's "Belize" and "Avery" textures on the image above.







Paper Pinecones 2
Paper Pinecones 2



This is how I made this version of Paper Pinecones:
  1. The paper pinecones start with a 3-inch round styrofoam ball (squish it a bit to make a pointy-like end).  
  2. Glue a loop of ribbon on non-pointy end.  I used 10-inches of ribbon so that I could have a 3-inch loop (which takes takes up 6 inches of the ribbon) and I then had two inches, on both ends, to glue in place.
  3. I punched out a bunch of 1-inch circles of paper - heavy paper that is printed on both sides (I ended up using a little more than two 12x12 inch squares of paper for these three pinecones).  
  4. I scored each circle with a "Y" shape and folded along the scored edges. (Put aside a few circles without folds to start and end the pinecone.)
  5. Use hot glue to glue down a circle of paper on the pointy-like end.  Then begin gluing the folded circles around the styrofoam ball in overlapping layers.
  6. Keep gluing circles until you reach the ribbon end.  To finish, cut a slit in the center of a paper circle, slide the ribbon through the slit, and then glue down.
  7. I added glitter to the tips.  The glitter that I had is very fine, white, and sugar-like.  



I may make more of these - maybe with white paper and silver glitter.  Wouldn't a nice scripted paper or an aged sheet-music paper look pretty?

I hope your day is awesome!

Be Wonderfully Odd!




Paper Pinecone3
Paper Pinecone3

14 comments:

  1. I love these pinecones and your photos of them!! Thanks for the instructions and perhaps, if I'm feeling especially patient, I can try my hand at making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just amazing! I've never seen this technique for making paper pinecones, but they turned out beautifully! Such patience you have. :-) I love the middle shot with the wood background...so earthy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pinecones are lovely and different...thanks for including the instructions...perhaps when the boys are here we can make some...they are truly unique and your photo's of them are wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun are these, love that close up really shows off all the detail. Such a lovely little treasure to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, those are lovely! What a fantastic craft project. Yes, I love Pinterest and must carefully guard my time on it or I lose entire days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, these are gorgeous! Thank you so much for including the instructions, too. Your finished products would make such special, one-of-a-kind gifts. Oh, and I love glitter, too! Your photos could easily grace the pages of a crafting magazine - that little cup of glitter is the perfect detail.Since you like paper crafts, perhaps you will enjoy this one for recycled book page bird ornaments that I've been making -http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/08/recycled-book-page-bird-ornament-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pinecones and lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same about this time of year and DIY. I always do crafts and love sewing, but when this month hits, I always think why haven't I been making things for the season or gifts. Then I crunch and try to get going to make too many things. This year though, unless the mood hits, I haven't started making anything. The pinecones are cute. I hadn't seen those yet, and yes, love Pinterest. Got some great ideas last year on there. :

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how lovely! And glitter, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are just stinking cute! I have a project I started last year that I said I would complete way before Christmas, but noooooo, it's not done yet and I have too many other pressing things in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely these are. I'm with you. I love anything that glitters or gleams. Thanks for sharing how you did these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazingly creative Sheila ! I love the pine cones and your photos of them are wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely fabulous. Paper pinecone 3 is my favorite photo. Fantastic color. Thanks for the directions for making.

    ReplyDelete