Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Cooking

I've been making homemade granola lately.  I don't care for the pre-made granola that I find in the stores - they seem to contain a lot of fat and sugar.

I found a great recipe for Granola in the Wheat Belly book - a recipe with lots of protein and low in sugars.

It's great as a snack on it's own, or sprinkled on top of yogurt.




The recipe calls for three different types of nuts, coconut, and ground flaxseed.

It also calls for walnut oil - something that I've never used before, but I really like the deep nutty taste.

Surprisingly, the sweetness comes from sugar-free vanilla syrup (the kind that is used in coffee drinks).

I really don't like the "aftertaste" of sugar-free foods - but after baking, that aftertaste isn't there anymore - such a good thing.




I love recipes that I can change to suit my taste or to use what I happen to have on hand - instead of walnuts, I used pecans (yum!).




A tasty breakfast with a few strawberries and a little bit of milk - a great way to start my day!




Have an awesome day!
Be Wonderfully Odd!





4 comments:

  1. Sheila, you pulled me right under with the words "homemade granola"! Your recipe sounds very good, especially with the sugar-free vanilla syrup (so good), and no after taste. I adore the warm tones on your photos - looks like a food magazine page! Beautiful collage format with two large images, plus 3 smalls in the middle. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely wonderful story-telling images and post.... and gosh it looks so good!! wonderful Sheila!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to look up this recipe it looks wonderful not only in the way you have presented but in your words. I don't like store bought granola either or the aftertaste of sub-sugar. Must find this. Thanks for sharing and love the way you have put this together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I was growing up one of my friend's mom made her own granola. It was sooo good and I thought it was sooo cool that she made her own. Still do.

    ReplyDelete